High Fiber Stuffing
- 3 cups of toasted whole grain breads, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup of GG Sprinkles
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 6 tablespoons of Smart Balance or another low cholestorol spread
- 1 turkey liver or 3 chicken livers (2 to 3 oz total), trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 cup turkey giblet stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup lowfat skim milk
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Spread all bread crumbs in 2 shallow baking pans and bake in upper and lower thirds of oven until dry, about 15 minutes total. Cool crumbs in pans on racks, then transfer to a large bowl and stir in GG Sprinkles, parsley, sage, salt, and pepper.
Melt butter substitute in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, then add onions and liver and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add celery and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl with crumbs and toss well. Add eggs, stock, and milk and toss well.
Transfer stuffing to a buttered 2 1/2- to 3-quart shallow baking dish. Bake, covered, in middle of oven 30 minutes, then uncover and bake until browned, about 30 minutes more.
Cooks’ note: Stuffing can be assembled (but not baked) 2 days ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature before baking.
This entry was posted on Tuesday, November 17th, 2009 at 3:35 pm and is filed under GG Bran Recipes. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.